» El lobo
por Bender96 Sáb Ene 20 2018, 23:32

» Una poesía al día
por Albedrío? Sáb Ene 20 2018, 17:21

» Pequeños momentos de felicidad
por Albedrío? Sáb Ene 20 2018, 17:18

» Teoría del todo a través del MBTI
por Bender96 Sáb Ene 20 2018, 00:23

» se puede pasar por el duelo de una muerte de un ser querido antes de que esta acontezca?
por Bender96 Vie Ene 19 2018, 15:47

You can increase your intelligence

Ver el tema anterior Ver el tema siguiente Ir abajo

You can increase your intelligence

Mensaje por Odiseo el Lun Jun 25 2012, 16:53

An article by Andrea Kuszewski.
I am not either a neurologist, but I think intelligence can be increased since we are kids. Now, we know about our brain's plasticity.
I mean, according to this article, we all are intelligents, but we can improve it to do a best world.

[Tienes que estar registrado y conectado para ver este vínculo]
What is "Intelligence"?

First of all, let me explain what I mean when I say the word "intelligence". To be clear, I’m not just talking about increasing the volume of facts or bits of knowledge you can accumulate, or what is referred to as crystallized intelligence—this isn’t fluency or memorization training—it’s almost the opposite, actually. I’m talking about increasing your fluid intelligence, or your capacity to learn new information, retain it, then use that new knowledge as a foundation to solve the next problem, or learn the next new skill, and so on.

Now, while working memory is not synonymous with intelligence, working memory correlates with intelligence to a large degree. In order to generate successfully intelligent output, a good working memory is pretty important. So to make the most of your intelligence, improving your working memory will help this significantly—like using the very best and latest parts to help a machine to perform at its peak.

The take-home points from this research? This study is relevant because they discovered:

1. Fluid intelligence is trainable.

2. The training and subsequent gains are dose-dependent—meaning, the more you train, the more you gain.

3. Anyone can increase their cognitive ability, no matter what your starting point is.

4. The effect can be gained by training on tasks that don’t resemble the test questions.

How Can I Put This Research To Practical Use For My Own Benefit?

There is a reason why the dual n-back task was so successful at increasing cognitive ability. It involves dividing your attention between competing stimuli, multimodal in fashion (one visual, one auditory). It requires you to focus on specific details while ignoring irrelevant information, which helps to improve your working memory over time, gradually increasing your ability to multi-task the information effectively. In addition, the stimulus was constantly switched, so there was never a "training to the test questions" phenomenon—it was always different. If you’ve never taken the dual n-back test, let me tell you this: It’s wicked hard. I’m not surprised there was so much cognitive gain from practicing this activity.

But let’s think practically.

Eventually, you will run out of cards in the deck or sounds in the array (the experiment lasted 2 weeks), so it isn’t practical to think that if you want to continually increase your brain power over the course of your lifetime, that the dual n-back alone will do the trick. Also, you’ll get bored with it and stop doing it. I know I would. Not to mention the time it takes to train in this activity—we all have busy lives! So we need to think of how to simulate the same types of heavy-duty brain thrashing—using multimodal methods—that can be applied to your normal life, while still maintaining the maximum benefits, in order to get the cognitive growth.

So—taking all of this into account, I have come up with five primary elements involved in increasing your fluid intelligence, or cognitive ability. Like I said, it would be impractical to constantly practice the dual n-back task or variations thereof every day for the rest of your life to reap cognitive benefits. But it isn’t impractical to adopt lifestyle changes that will have the same—and even greater cognitive benefits. These can be implemented every day, to get you the benefits of intense entire-brain training, and should transfer to gains in overall cognitive functioning as well.

These five primary principles are:

1. Seek Novelty

2. Challenge Yourself

3. Think Creatively

4. Do Things The Hard Way

5. Network

Odiseo

Cantidad de envíos : 1765

Re: You can increase your intelligence

Mensaje por Odiseo el Lun Jun 25 2012, 17:01

[Tienes que estar registrado y conectado para ver este vínculo]

Odiseo

Mensaje por nimrod el Lun Jun 25 2012, 21:08

[Tienes que estar registrado y conectado para ver este vínculo] escribió:An article by Andrea Kuszewski.
I am not either a neurologist, but I think intelligence can be increased since we are kids. Now, we know about our brain's plasticity.
I mean, according to this article, we all are intelligents, but we can improve it to do a best world.

I hope you don't mind if I correct some mistakes:
You don't need that "either" in the sentence. Intelligent is an adjective and they are invariable, so no "-s" needed. Finally, instead of "to do a best world" you should say "to make a better world".
Wink

By the way, the article is interesting, thank you.

nimrod

Cantidad de envíos : 32

Mensaje por Odiseo el Mar Jun 26 2012, 02:52

Thank you, nimrod. I am here to learn.

I knew I had made mistakes on "to do a best world", I was hesitating wether it was "to do" or "to make". In the other hand, I did not know about the invariability of 'inteligent', while on "either", I just have said it because of Einstein's citation: he was not a neurologist, so I am not either Smile

Odiseo

Mensaje por xero-q el Mar Oct 01 2013, 08:34

I'm brand new here... sorry for pointing out your mistakes too..

I think it's "on the other hand", at least I've always heard it this way.

xero-q

Cantidad de envíos : 670

Mensaje por Contenido patrocinado

Contenido patrocinado

Ver el tema anterior Ver el tema siguiente Volver arriba